Saturday, December 03, 2005

Holiday Shows

It's so fun to watch the holiday shows with C. Even the ones that, in today's computer generated world, look tired and dated, she thinks are the best things around. You know, all the old Rankin Bass specials. I'm not talking the more famous ones, like Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer, but ones like Nestor the Donkey and one we saw last night that I had never even seen before about nuns in France and the first Christmas snow.

C watches these shows intently, loving every minute. When I was young, Rudolph was my favorite Christmas show. Now that I watch again with more mature eyes, I can't believe that this show is for kids! All the reindeer pick on Rudolph because he's different, and the adults, including SANTA, encourage it! Then, when he runs away, no one goes looking for him right away. Don't get me started on Hermie. Where's the Elf union? Never mind the whole harrassment issue you know is going on with the girl (sorry, women) elves. And Rudolph wanders around until he realizes that running away isn't going to solve his problems. HELLO! It wasn't his problem to begin with.

So my dilemna is this - do I sit quietly and let C watch, or do I point out all the instances of where the reindeer, elves and/or Santa could have been a little nicer, or dare I say, understanding? The first few times we watched (and yes, she's been watching since she was about 1) I pointed out all the issues. Now that she's really into the whole Santa Claus myth and mystique, do I continue? Or do I let her enjoy the precious few years that she truly believes in Santa.....I think I'll let her be a kid and enjoy the show. Too few years where one can be that innocent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home