Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Roughing It

I will be on a business trip in October that will be the longest I’ve been on since before I had C – if even ever (I can’t remember anything anymore!). I’m not worried that she’ll miss me (ok, maybe a little) and I’m a little excited to have time alone (although by the Tuesday of that week I’ll probably be feeling a little guilty and a lot homesick for her)…

So I will be packing my bag and heading to the middle of no-where (pretty much – it’s a 4 hour-ish drive through the Catskill mountains) and obviously being in the middle of no where the accommodation choices are a bit, shall we say, lacking? It’s a choice of slim and none. No big hotel chains (I need my Marriott points! I’m almost up to a whole free night’s stay someplace good!), and I’m not going to stay at a bed and breakfast either.

The hotel that everyone stays at when traveling to visit this particular agent is owned by a “name” hotel chain, it’s just not THAT name – kind of their version of the budget minded business traveler hotel. I check for rates online, and find that yes, I can stay there the whole week I need, and book the room.

I’m looking forward to the king size bed all to myself, the wireless high speed internet, the fact that I’m only responsible for myself for the week. However, I don’t think putting “curved shower rod” in the “for your comfort” column on your website is the greatest marketing ploy. At least for me it isn’t. Of course, I think this trip is the business equivalent of roughing it, so what do I know? Maybe that’s a big selling point for their customers.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Mrs Big Dubya said...

We had a recent experience at a Comfort Inn that let's say was.... less than comfortable

I hope you are pleasantly surprised... you never know, sometimes these smaller out of the way places really do it right.

Have fun -- just think you'll have the remote control all to yourself too!

19 September, 2007 07:33  
Blogger The McFamily said...

Have a great trip, Sue.
Enjoy the BIGGGGGGGG Bed.

19 September, 2007 14:54  
Blogger Sue said...

Thanks guys! I will enjoy having the remote, and the big bed - and not having to cut someone else's dinner, etc. I'll miss them, but it will be like a little vacation!

20 September, 2007 08:43  
Blogger Elle*Bee said...

Have a great trip. If it's any consolation, that same month, I actually will be roughing it. Cub Scout Family Campout. sigh. Have I ever mentioned that I'm not an outdoorsy girl? Enjoy your king sized bed, while I'm sleeping on the ground in Mosquito Central. LOL

20 September, 2007 15:20  
Blogger Stepping Over the Junk said...

there are pros and cons there! I look forward to the weekends where I have a break and my girls go with their dad...or on their week vacations with their dad (we are divorced) but I am always missing them, try to take advantage of the downtime, and chomping at the bit to get them back!

20 September, 2007 17:01  

Post a Comment

<< Home