Wednesday, August 22, 2007

A dollar and a dream



So the Powerball lottery is up to $245 million for tonight. A co-worker and I have spent many minutes discussing the mechanics of what we'd do if we won...

I know my mom always used to say things like "you'd only have problems if you won that much money". I think it was her way to make herself feel better because the odds really aren't with you to win. However, she was also the first to call dibs whenever we said we'd bought a ticket.

And yes, I know that there's been some study saying most lottery winners end up bankrupt or near it, but I like to think I'd be smarter than that. Set up trusts, pay off bills, make some charitable contributions, live off the interest, that kind of thing.

Besides, having those discussions are a good way to pass 15 minutes on a slow August day in work!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger The McFamily said...

Found you through a link on D's blog!
I think I figured out that you must be C's Mom.
I am a CT resident as well...and a former insurance company employee!
I have been reading through your archives. You are a great writer.

24 August, 2007 15:33  
Blogger Sue said...

Welcome to my little blog! Not a lot of readership but everyone's welcome.

Thank you for the kind compliment, and you did guess the relationship correctly. I try to stay semi-anonmyous because I like my paycheck!

26 August, 2007 22:27  
Blogger The McFamily said...

I am glad I figured you out.
And I love my paycheck as well, I feel your fear!

We are Rhode Islander lovers ourselves...we just spent a week in Matunuck.

I am no longer in Insurance, but I worked in personal lines at my first job, then in Life for subsequent positions, only on the IT side.

I always wanted to underwrite. I find APS's and MVR's and Inspection reports and Claim forms FASCINATING. Seriously.

28 August, 2007 14:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home