Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Where's the Panic Button??



So it's now less than a week before Christmas. Work has been crazy (thank you Florida hurricane/catastrophe assessments!)....and we still need to buy some presents for certain people. I'm talking about the in-laws, and my dad.

Now, Mrs. Big Dubya had a good suggestion a couple posts ago on her blog (and really, I want to know how she's getting all this blogging done with a newborn....) about making a donation to Heifer International. This would be a great idea, except I'm not sure how they would interpret that gift. My dad might be ok with it, he's big into charity (and religion, but that's another post) but the in-laws? The in-laws I have are the older, Italian version of in-laws. Very nice, but I wouldn't feel right making a donation in their names after they think we're struggling to survive (don't ask - they think because D is staying home we're practically on the verge of bankruptcy and keep handing us money. Not huge amounts, but they're retired.)

And this weekend is shaping up to be crazy again. Not only is Sunday night Christmas Eve (Italian in-laws equals big Christmas Eve celebration), but Saturday is swimming lessons, running around for some groceries for our Christmas Day dinner and what I'm supposed to bring Christmas Eve.

The good thing is, once we get past Christmas/New Year's - we have the Disney Cruise to look forward to! I think I will just collapse into a deck chair with a book and take naps.

How are you all doing with your holiday plans??

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. Sometimes it's tough to come up with a really inspired gift idea. My mother is impossible to shop for - esp. b/c she shops all the time and will buy herself whatever she decides she likes. I end up sending her a potted plant of some kind (flowers seem so temporary), but her studio apt. is starting to look like a jungle. Now, if she had my "black thumb," it wouldn't be an issue.

19 December, 2006 11:45  
Blogger Mrs Big Dubya said...

Fortunately, I've got a laptop and can type pretty well one-handed.

We've had to get creative with my in-laws.... professional portrait of all the grandchildren, gift certificate to a destination (Foxwoods, etc.).

This year we got them onboard credit on their upcoming cruise --

We're using the weekend before Christmas to celebrate with our families (Friday w/ mine, Saturday w/ W's) so that we can come home and spend Christmas Eve & Christmas Day at home.

Good Luck!

19 December, 2006 12:09  
Blogger Sue said...

Thanks Elle and Mrs. Big Dubya! I'm glad to know I'm not alone.

And LOL Mrs. Big Dubya about typing one handed!

Elle, my roommate in college and I managed to kill a spider plant, so I completely understand about the "black thumb" : )

19 December, 2006 16:08  
Blogger Elle*Bee said...

Sue, my black thumb doesn't stop me from gardening. Home Depot used to have a plant guarantee - if a plant died within a certain time frame, you could bring it back w/ your receipt and they'd exchange it or give you a refund. I don't know if they still do that. If not, it's my fault I'm sure for abusing the policy! My photo is probably posted in the garden dept - "Do NOT sell to this woman!!!"

20 December, 2006 10:59  
Blogger Jen said...

I've never been to her blog, but I just gave my sons preschool teachers some 'chicks' from Heifer.org.
I love that site.
His teachers said it was their favorite gift ever!
Christmas time is very stressful!! I really wish there was an easy button! :)

23 December, 2006 17:22  

Post a Comment

<< Home