Thursday, November 30, 2006

In the Zone

So, we have this huge presentation here in work today...what am I doing? Blogging, of course. I have a five minute bit part in this dog and pony show (and seriously, the level of people they have here (chairman of the board, CEO, COO, EVP, one of the institutional investors...) no one really would know the right question to ask even if we handed it to them anyway). We're (ok me mostly) all making nervous jokes.

And of course, this is the morning C picks to wake up wayyyyy grumpy, wanting to sleep some more, telling anyone who will listen she's tired and doesn't want to go to school.....D brings her downstairs, she sheds copious tears on my shoulder, and my heart is breaking. Of course I wish I could have stayed longer (even though she had calmed down and was getting dressed when I left).

Now I'm trying to 'get in the zone' and get psyched up for this meeting, and I'm just kind of meh about it all. I think that's the difference between men and women in the work force. If this presentation is blown, oh well, it's just work. I'll still go home and have the love of my family and work is just a means to do things with my family. I think for men, they take it a bit more seriously (not that I don't take it seriously, I just don't think it's the end of the world if things aren't perfect)....

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Elle*Bee said...

I remember those days. I can't tell you how many presentations I've done or meetings I attended with - ahem - nasal excretions on the back of my shoulder (where I couldn't see them, of course). But you're right. It's just one hat of many that working women wear. The advantage of not being defined by the work we do (esp. since we do so much work anyway).

30 November, 2006 16:42  
Blogger Sue said...

Elle, I think you're right. We (we being women) don't need to define ourselves by any job(s) because there's always another job that needs to get done!

30 November, 2006 19:39  

Post a Comment

<< Home