Monday, March 26, 2007

The Fungibility of Money

I was going to post about how working in insurance makes me more aware of hazards (ie. I always check where the exits are located, I pass the 18 wheeler trucks on the highway a bit more carefully, don't get me started on permission slips) but I was even bored by that.

This weekend was another very busy weekend, per usual. Saturday we went to a birthday party at the bowling alley here in town. That wasn't so unusual. What I found interesting was in talking to a mom, one topic that came up was her way of budgeting her money. She separates her money into different enveleopes (one for gas, one for Dunkin' Donuts, etc.). I've heard of people doing this (I think my MIL does this also - is it an Italian thing?) but I've never understood the reason. The mom also didn't have a debit card. Maybe that's it? I can just debit everything I need? But why wouldn't you have a debit card? It's coming right out of your bank account, so your money stays in and earns interest until you need it. Granted, it may only be a penny of interest, but "a penny saved is a penny earned", right?

And the topic then moved to dads watching their kids - this same mom got to go to the mall - ALL BY HERSELF - on Saturday morning. Her husband called her twice! to ask questions. And not like "Our son is bleeding what should I do" type emergency questions; questions like "what is there to eat?". I guess I'm lucky - the few times I get to go do something by myself (and it's not all D's fault I don't do more on my own, it's my own darn guilt complex) D hasn't called me to ask questions. Even the very first time, when she was only about 6 weeks old, I went to the mall for Christmas shopping by myself, he didn't call.

And what were the kids doing while we had all these deep discussions? They were supposed to be bowling....however C rolled the ball (painfully slowly - even managed to get it stuck between the bumper and the lane!) once or twice and gave up and went to try to play pool. Silly girl! Doesn't she realize she needs at least a beer (or two or three) before she'll be any good at shooting pool (or thinking she's good at shooting pool)?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Mrs Big Dubya said...

I was always better at shooting pool after a couple of beers.

I'm not an envelope person either -- we each take out $$ at the beginning of the week and try to make it last 'til the end.

26 March, 2007 14:07  
Blogger Sue said...

I always needed a few beers to be ok at shooting pool and playing quarters, too.

26 March, 2007 16:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home