Sunday, June 24, 2007

Not to worry, I'm still registered Republican

I've been feeling very burnt out lately, and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's the melancholy I feel when I leave in the mornings now, and no one else is even awake. And during the calls home I get to hear a play by play of all the fun things done or planned, and I'm stuck dealing with insurance.....

But this Saturday we did something a little different. We went to karate, sure, but then we went to the Farmers' Market held in the parking lot of a shopping plaza every Saturday....I'll be the first to admit I'm not "crunchy" in the least - I hate the smell of patchouli in the morning and greed is good (since my annual bonus is based on results)...

However, it makes me feel good when I buy something that's come from a local farm. We bought strawberries from a farm one town over, some organic lettuce, and some homemade bread and dip for having with the wine later that night.

The strawberries were incredible. Much better than you get at the grocery store - I didn't even need to put some sugar on them to make them juicy for the shortcake (I wonder what kind of google searches that last sentence will get me?)....

I realize we're pretty lucky - we have local farms that supply the produce, and the means to purchase it...and I want to keep trying to do my part, as little as it is, for as long as I can...




Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Mrs Big Dubya said...

Yum!

I think I know the market you are talking about.... we'll have to pop by -- I love fresh fruit & berries -- the taste is beyond compare and helping out the local economy is a bonus.

25 June, 2007 09:54  
Blogger Elle*Bee said...

The strawberries at our local farmer's market are always better than the grocery. I eat them plain, straight from the container. Yum!

25 June, 2007 16:23  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We stopped a a local dairy farm over the weekend and got some of their ice cream. Fantastic!

26 June, 2007 12:41  

Post a Comment

<< Home