Friday, February 01, 2008

Public Service Announcements

Today, Feb 1, is National Wear Red day – because too few people realize that heart disease is the No. 1 killer of women (and men). And part of the problem is that heart problems manifest themselves differently in women than in men – most people will experience chest pain, but women are more likely to experience shortness of breath, nausea/vomiting and back or jaw pain. I’m probably more sensitive to this issue because my mom died of a heart attack (just as my BFF is more sensitive to the issue of breast cancer since her mom is a survivor).

In Connecticut, next Tuesday Feb 5 is Super Tuesday (as well as Mardi Gras! Except we don’t do as well with laissez les bon temps roulez as our friends in Louisiana – actually I don’t think we do it at all. Where’s my king cake??) – 22 states (plus American Samoa) will hold their primaries or caucuses with 52 percent of all pledged Democratic Party delegates and 41 percent of the total Republican Party delegates at stake. If your state is holding a primary/caucus as well, and you’re eligible, please remember to vote. I don’t care who you vote for, just make sure you exercise your right.

And in case you weren’t aware, it is possible to become allergic to your contact lens solution. I have learned this the hard way and will now need to do mini chemistry experiments to continue to use my contacts.

Have a great weekend!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Darren said...

American Samoa votes?

01 February, 2008 15:40  
Blogger Sue said...

I just report what Wikipedia tells me.

01 February, 2008 20:32  
Blogger Elle*Bee said...

I wish you would've mentioned that you wanted King Cake - perhaps I could've sent you one, in exchange for...I dunno, snow? We live on the "other side of the lake" from N.O. but our Mardi Gras will be low-key since Son #3 is recovering from the flu.

Great post. I coincidentally am wearing red today. The heart disease cause is well, dear to my heart, too. My dad died of a heart attack at age 54. Dear Hubby had triple bypass at age 36, his sis died a week after receiving stents at the age 40.

Sorry to hear about your contact solution. I use Replenish with my Acuvue Oasys lenses. Have you been unable to pinpoint the offensive ingredient?

04 February, 2008 19:30  
Blogger Sue said...

Elle, thanks for the offer of king cake - the claims guys at work usually get at least one and share, but apparently not this year!

As for the contact lens solution - I had switched to Target brand no rub solution, trying to save $$. Unfortunately I'm allergic to something in there, so while I'm sure the eye dr. would want me to continue to use the hydrogen peroxide system, I think once I've finished what I just bought, I'll go back to the B & L No Rub Solution (which didn't cause problems)..

04 February, 2008 20:05  

Post a Comment

<< Home