Friday, April 14, 2006

Rocky Mountain High


So I spent the better part of the week in Denver, Colorado on business. I'd been to Denver before, the last time about six years ago. This visit was to audit an agent that I had done business with before, when I worked in the city, so it was a pretty easy trip. Only a couple new people to meet, so the work/pleasure mix was pretty even.

I flew out on Monday, and I'm not sure if it's because it's the week before Easter or what, but the plane was full. My biggest nightmare come true. It really wasn't too bad until the very last leg home yesterday (from Minneapolis to Hartford) when the guy sitting in the middle wanted to put the armrest down. Bad idea dude. He finally caught on.

Denver is such a cool city. Maybe because it's unlike anything out here in New England. You fly in and it's flat - flat flat, with the mountains rising in the distance. The mountains are still snow covered too. It was a nice contrast - 80 degree weather (and yes, I packed like I would still be in New England so for more like 50 degree weather) and sunny. The city itself is a nice mix of nationally known retail stores (there's a Starbucks on every other corner) and really funky little shops and restuarants. When I described it to D on the phone, I said it was like SoHo, "but with less dirt and attitude".

I went out for a couple glasses of wine on Tuesday night and why yes, I am a cheap drunk. Between the altitude and lack of opportunity to drink, I no longer have any tolerance. And bad news for D, I found a bookstore. I love to read. And this wasn't a run of the mill, nationally known bookstore - it was a funky, independently owned bookstore in an old, converted factory. NIRVANA. Of course I had to spend some money there.

Wednesday was wrapping up the audit, which didn't take long at all and left me most of the day free to explore the city. And I did. There was a party to celebrate the anniversary of the agency I was visiting, conveniently located in the hotel where I was staying. So more wine! The party started around 3, and lasted until about 7. Then Lost was on (and mountain time tv is just weird - Lost was on at 8 Denver time) so I ordered room service.

Last night was a blur - with the time change, and traveling, I fell asleep early, and actually got to sleep in until 8:15 this morning! C woke up and climbed in bed with me, chattering about a mermaid show at daddy's work and he needed to put a pool on stage so there could be 14 mermaids in the show. Why, I have no idea.

And now I'm back in the same rut. D is working, C is asleep, and as soon as I pay some bills (damn bi-monthly pay periods!) I will probably crawl into bed too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home