Friday, March 17, 2006

Don't drink the milk, it's spoiled!

I had to pick up C last night (as D was working late, yet again). She and I had a nice night together - we got dinner from the guy who runs a catering place next to her school (I don't know how he makes his eggplant parm, but WOW! Most excellent). I told her we had to take a "scrubby" bath (wash hair and scrub body) and get in our jammied before 7, because there was going to be a show about the Disney boat on tv.

So we cuddled on the chair and watched tv after her bath. Hah. Yeah right. I was on the chair, she was bouncing all over the place.

"I wanna go tomorrow on the Disney ship. Can we go tomorrow on the Disney ship?"

She was so excited to see the pools, and the restuarants and her "club". It's very hard for her to understand we're not going again until January. That there's Easter, and summer vacation, and the start of kindergarten, and Thanksgiving and Christmas before we get to go back. I imagine for a 4 year old it seems like an eternity.

And every so often I pause and think. When I was 4, our vacations were weekend trips to the beach at Gramma's cottage. Or to VT to my aunt and uncle's cabin. Heck, my first cruise (at 37!) was the same as her first cruise! Are we spoiling her?

But I don't understand the rationale of having to wait to do things because I never got to do them when I was her age. I make damn good money, and I like nice things. So when we go on vacation, it's not going to be camping (not that there's anything wrong with that, I just don't like the idea of doing everything outside), it's going to be to a good hotel. She just happens to be along for the ride. If she wants to go camping, she can go camping when she's old enough and/or has her own family.

I know no one reads, but extra credit if you can name the show the title of the post is from.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mrs Big Dubya said...

I read...... but, I'm sorry... I don't watch much TV, so I'me useless as far as your trivia questions goes.

I check out your blog regularly 'cause I sense we share similar struggles... working in the corporate world while trying to be an involved parent -- makes me feel less alone!

Keep writing -- you probably have more readers than you think.

19 March, 2006 13:35  
Blogger Sue said...

It was a little rascals episode. Growing up in CT at the beginning of cable (gasp! I remember tv before cable)...those reruns were on every day when we got home from school

20 March, 2006 05:43  

Post a Comment

<< Home