Sunday, August 06, 2006

Vacations



I was actually up before C this morning. She was out late, having been in the musical being produced at the theatre D works at this weekend. She didn't get home until almost midnight (she fell asleep in the car on the way home, and stayed asleep until 8:30 am). I took a couple pictures with my new digital camera, and once I figure out how to download (upload?) them to the computer, there'll be a post about that.

But anyway, I was up earlier than she was, so decided to go for a walk. It was beautiful this morning - clear, cool, and sunny. It reminded me of the vacations my family would go on when we were young. My family didn't have a lot of money, my dad worked in a factory and my mom stayed home with us. Vacations were weekends at the beach house my grandparents owned, and a week in Vermont in August.

August in Vermont. It's amazing the difference a few hundred miles makes. The days were warm, but the nights very cool. And another difference was the quiet. Living in the suburbs, there were always cars driving by, and street lights, and people out late at night. In Vermont, there was none of that. Complete peace and quiet. Quick tip: never read Stephen King's Pet Sematary in Vermont. It just gets a little too creepy.

So, very quiet, and the stars...you have never seen so many stars! There's little ambient light (where we were at least) and at night the sky was just covered with stars. And every so often you would see a shooting star. Days were spent sightseeing - even into New Hampshire a few times. And sometimes the thunderstorms at night were incredible.

Where am I going with this? I guess sometimes I just worry that C is going to be spoiled with all the Disney we do/ will be doing, plus vacationing in Rhode Island, and all the other advantages she gets. That sometimes it might be nice to just go someplace where you have to make your own fun, where a trip to the store is an event. That even though we didn't have money for different trips when we were young, we still were able to have fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home