Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Birthday Pumpkin


Five years ago you came into our world. Five whole years already! It amazes me how much you’ve changed, and how much you’ve changed our world.

I used to rock you to sleep – all the working outside the home mommy guilt, and I didn’t mind it. I thought you’d be 18 and I’d still have to rock you to sleep. But now? You demand two songs, tolerate a kiss from me, and ask me to go ask Daddy to sing the “rainbow song”. Then you have conversations with your doll, and go to sleep. And for the most part, stay asleep through the whole night.

You like to tell jokes – silly, made up knock-knock jokes that you think are the funniest in the whole wide world. And watching you laugh at your own jokes makes me laugh too – not at you, but with you. Because something about your laugh, the way your eyes crinkle, and one can’t help but laugh along with you.

You’re stubborn, and a perfectionist (I wonder where she gets that from?). You get frustrated when you can’t make your letters for homework perfectly, and I ache and want to do it for you, but stop myself because you need to learn that sometimes, just good enough is ok too.

You’re a daredevil about some things – swimming, for example. You waded right into the ocean when you were 18 months, and laughed when a wave knocked you over. You think you can do anything your bigger cousins can do, and sometimes you get so rambunctious I think you should have been a boy. But then you put on a dress and play with dolls and you’re such a girly girl, and I don’t understand that either, because I am not that way.

Sometimes I forget you’re only five – you act and speak like you’re so much older. That’s probably from being the only child. You travel well, even making up games to play in the car with Daddy and me, and rarely ask “are we there yet?”. You like to eat out at restaurants, and people are amazed that you eat vegetables and more than just nuggets and fries.

I can’t remember what life was like five years ago. I’m sure I was more rested, and not as stressed, and definitely in better shape, but I wouldn’t trade my life now for the world.

Happy Birthday, pumpkin!!

6 Comments:

Blogger Elle*Bee said...

She reminds me of Son #3, who'll be 5 in Feb. He too tells his own made-up knock knock jokes - he has an endless supply. He is also a perfectionist when it comes to his (home)school work. And his laugh - he cackles and snorts. This is such a fun age. I'm savoring it, because he's my 'caboose' (unless God has a really wicked sense of humor). Happy birthday to your baby!

08 November, 2006 17:26  
Blogger Sue said...

Thanks Elle! It is a fun age (and much better than 4, knock wood!)

08 November, 2006 20:23  
Blogger Elle*Bee said...

I'm glad you said that. Mine is just now getting out of the 'terrible two's' which started when he turned 3 and lasted until he was 4 yrs 8 months. Yikes!

Did you catch Lost last night?

10 November, 2006 02:26  
Blogger Mrs Big Dubya said...

Awwwww.... happy birthday C!

Time flies when you are a parent, makes you want every day to last for a year.

11 November, 2006 10:23  
Blogger Sue said...

Elle - I did watch Lost - did you get a chance to see it? If not, let me know, I'll post a little summary about what happened.

Mrs. Big W - I read somewhere once that with kids "the days are long, but the years are short"....and it is soooo true!

11 November, 2006 20:35  
Blogger Elle*Bee said...

I didn't catch all of it, but I saw the last 20 minutes so I was able to pick up on what I missed (I think).

13 November, 2006 16:03  

Post a Comment

<< Home