Friday, January 05, 2007

Birthday month!



D likes to tease because in my family, our birthdays are all in the October thru January stretch. His is the only one that falls outside those months – even my sister-in-law’s birthday is in December.

January is especially loaded with birthdays. It starts on the 14th, with my brother’s birthday (why yes, he was born eight days before my first birthday. Slightly premature, but has since made up for it most impressively (say, 6 feet 4 inches tall and a lot of pounds. Not bad for starting out around five pounds)). Then my birthday on the 22nd, and my niece’s birthday on the 24th.

And if that weren’t enough, the birthday party floodgates opened from kindergarten as well. If we weren’t going away the middle of this month, we’d have birthday parties to go to each weekend (and twice on one weekend!). Yes, I realize that the school rule is that everyone needs to be invited to birthday parties, but we’ve already gotten 4 invitations, and I know for certain there’s one more on the way.

I’m starting to feel a wee bit guilty for not having a school party for C this year, but I didn’t realize that everyone else would be having a party with the class. Growing up (and maybe this is a result of the late 70’s/blue collar background I have) I don’t remember ever going to a classmate’s birthday party. I don’t think there were any until about middle school age, when a girl in my class had a slumber party. Heck, I’ve even had to make my own birthday cake one year! (Although my grandma would come through with a fruitcake with pink and green frosting. Pink and green because those were the only food colors she had, and fruitcake? I think she thought everyone liked it).

So back out into the wild world of Wal Mart this weekend for yet another birthday present and card. Luckily I will shop for my family on our vacation. Think my 11 year old niece would like some tequila with a worm in it from Mexico??

1 Comments:

Blogger Elle*Bee said...

I know what you mean! In my immediate family of 5, our bdays are Feb. 18 & 26, June 1, 17 & 23. If you consider my inlaws, we have one in late Jan., one more in Feb, three in April, another in June (don't forget Father's Day), and one in early July. By the time I'm done paying off those credit card bills, it's Christmas time again!

08 January, 2007 13:13  

Post a Comment

<< Home