Sunday, February 04, 2007

Can you drop out in Kindergarten?



We finally got our first measurable snow Friday night (and no, I didn't measure it, I'm just assuming it was about 3 or 4 inches - we had to shovel. It would have been a waste to fire up the snowblower for such light snow (and I'm not even sure if there's gas in the snowblower!))....and the forecast for the first part of the week has windchills in the negative 20 degree range...A couple Fridays ago school was cancelled because of the cold. I'm doubting the powers that be will cancel school tomorrow because of the cold, but hopefully there will be a delay.

C had perfect attendance until we went on vacation last month. Since we've been back, she's been sent home twice for throwing up. I understand, the school doesn't want to take a chance on some nasty stomach bug going around (I had one in December, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy) but she's not sick with that. She's congested and that's how it ends up for her. So, the first week we were back she was sent home on Thursday, school was cancelled Friday. Last week, she was on the bus when it happened again. She missed all Thursday and Friday.

I'm beginning to understand my mother's attitude towards sending us to school - unless there was blood, we went to school. I know, you're thinking I'm heartless. But C was jumping off the couch the days she was home (and there wasn't any fever, so really, no reason to even call the doctor). And she wanted to take a road trip to Pennsylvania to see the groundhog!

Hopefully, even with the windchills, we'll make it through this entire week.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Mrs Big Dubya said...

I don't think you are at all heartless... our 'lil man coughs himself into such a lather that he pukes too. It's messy and disruptive, but not enough to keep/send him home.

05 February, 2007 06:46  
Blogger Elle*Bee said...

Welcome to the heartless club. I inherited mine from my mother. With my kids, if they're too sick to go to school (or stay in school), then they're too sick to watch TV, read, or play video games. Sleep. That's it. If they agree to those terms, then I know they really *are* sick and I'll pamper accordingly.

05 February, 2007 12:50  
Blogger Sue said...

Knock on wood, she went to school this morning and so far I haven't heard anything (no news is good news).

I just wish the school could use some discretion with their rules sometimes...oh well. Hopefully we'll make it through this entire week!

05 February, 2007 15:25  
Blogger Elle*Bee said...

I know what you mean. Several years ago, Son #1 had a few seizures (none in 5 years - knock wood). Everytime, he complained of the slightest headache, the office would call me and ask if I wanted to pick him up. Um, no. (Son #1 had certain 'signs' before the onset of a seizure, but headache wasn't one of them.)

06 February, 2007 15:24  

Post a Comment

<< Home