Wednesday, February 07, 2007

What a difference a decade makes



Last night we were watching some show on VH1 classic - something like the 100 greatest 1 hit wonders, and a lot of the songs that I thought were pretty recent were hits over 10 years ago! I was remembering what was going on 10 years ago, and it's amazing how long ago, yet how recent, it all seems.

Ten years ago, I would have been taking a half day on Friday and taking the bus to NYC to visit D. He'd never meet me at the bus station - instead I'd have to fight my way from Port Authority to the Upper West Side on my own. But by this point I'd have made sure I had some subway tokens before I got to the city so I didn't have to stand in line for them at rush hour.

Sometimes I'd get to his building before he got home (he was in law school at this point). His doorman would let me into the lobby and talk with me until he got home (usually wasn't a long wait, and this would be a good thing because his doorman would end up being the one to find me an apartment once I finally moved to the city).
So, D would get home, he'd check his mail and we'd go upstairs and decide what we were going to do.

Most weekends that I spent in the city visiting with him were similar. We'd have drinks while deciding what to do (also watching Jeopardy!), decide on what neighborhood we'd be in, and go out. Sometimes we met some of his friends, sometimes we'd be on our own.

It was like being in a different time zone. The bars in NY don't close until 4am, and we'd still be in one more often than not at that time (we usually ended our evening at the bar a couple blocks from his apartment - Tap A Keg). We crash for most of the day, and get up as it was getting dark (in the winter) and do it all over again Saturday nights.

What I find incredible (aside from the fact that my liver still functions) is that $100 lasted a whole weekend. Well, that and now I sometimes get up for the day at the time I used to be going to bed.

Now our weekends are spent doing things with C - karate starts this weekend, there are the normal chores that have to get done, and this Saturday night will be special. We'll be watching the new Kim Possible episodes Saturday night.

Maybe we'll even let C stay up too.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Elle*Bee said...

So true. In my case, it's what a difference 12 years makes, but I soooo get your point. One day, I'm told, our lives will be our own again. Not that I'm in a hurry, mind you...

08 February, 2007 18:47  
Blogger Sue said...

Elle, I completely understand. I don't want to rush things either(time seems to have sped up anyway!).

08 February, 2007 19:16  

Post a Comment

<< Home