Sunday, February 05, 2006

Opportunities

So, I recently had a chance to discuss a new opportunity, thanks to someone I worked with once who recommended me to his current employers. That's what I was doing Wed morning, before the call to pick up C from pre-school.

I printed out the directions from MapQuest, and left plenty of time for getting lost (which I tend to do) and traffic. Even with the few wrong turns I managed to take, I was a half hour early. I hung out listening to the local news until it was time to go in. The people were very nice, and seemed to all get along. It's a very small office (as it's just starting up) in a nice location.

However, and there is a however, the work they had in mind is something that would not be interesting (to me). And, I realize that the salary I currently make is out of the Hartford area ballpark, but what was discussed was a significant cut. Which also means a title cut.

The person I interviewed with also made a comment about how he felt sorry for me, having to commute such a long distance with a small child at home. Now, intellectually I understand he was trying to be empathetic, but why isn't anyone making these sorts of comments to any guy who might be interviewing for a position? (That's a completely rhetorical question, since for all I know, those comments might be getting made. But somehow I doubt it).

I've agonized over this decision. Not that any offer has been made yet, but the people sounded pretty positive that it would be forthcoming. The pro's were pretty compelling - a shorter commute, less travel, less responsibility and a chance to make a difference at a company just starting out. But the con's were too much to overcome - less salary, less repsonsbility, and the fact that I'd be even more of a grunt worker.

As I'm not in a position where I have to make a move, I think I'll keep rolling the dice. Someone, somewhere will come up with a position that's right for me, in terms of salary, and time off and all those "quality of life" issues.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home