Friday, January 27, 2006

Age

Mrs. Big Dubya has a new post about age, and while hers is mostly work related, the age thing has been in my thoughts lately too. I just celebrated a birthday on Sunday, and yes, D and C made it wonderful. I got a beautiful card that C drew (a picture of me in a rainbow dress with my arms stretched wide because "that's how much I love you mommy") and D made an excellent dinner (ok I helped by picking out easy things (not pasta either) for him to make) and we just had a nice day. But I still can't wrap my head around the fact that I'm closer to 40 than 30 - I have been for a couple years, but this birthday was different somehow.

Maybe because I don't feel like I thought this age should, if that makes sense. I still think of myself as just out of college, mid-twenty something. Then I have to wonder, what do other people think of me? At work, I'm the youngest in my area. Also the only female. All of the kids of the people I work directly with are either in college or already out of college. Mine hasn't even started Kindergarten!

And C's friends' moms? Well, they're mostly younger...and in a different place as far as career, etc. goes. That's another line we're going to have to walk carefully. I don't want C to grow up completely spoiled, but I've worked hard and our family is in a place right now where we can do things (Disney cruise, summer vacation at the beach, etc.) that maybe some other families can't, yet. I'm off on a tangent here. Bring it back!

So it's a strange place age-wise to be in. Youngest at work, but oldest at home when with C's friends. Throw in the fact I have no idea how this age is supposed to feel (we'll leave the whole body image for another day and post) and still think of myself as twenty something....And yes I know "You're only as old as you feel"....then why can't I still look twenty-something too??

1 Comments:

Blogger Mrs Big Dubya said...

plain & simple.... getting old sucks
pass the wine

29 January, 2006 19:14  

Post a Comment

<< Home