Monday, May 22, 2006

Clueless



Are guys deliberately clueless, or do they just want us to think they are? I don't know which is worse. Case in point. D's theatre does a "family" show every summer - lots of kids in the cast, or a kid friendly show. Somehow, he comes up with this plan to have C audition for this summer's show. Now, the guidelines for this particular audition state that the kid has to be over 6 and be able to sing and dance. C is none of that, in fact her "dancing" is just her pretending to be a ballerina. Which is very cute, but not something I'd want onstage.

In addition, her listening skills (at least to mom and dad) aren't the greatest. But whatever, he's told her she might be in a show (which she hears as "I'm going to be in a show!") and she's going to the audition. So who has to bring her? Me. Because D is "working" (which seems to consist of the various volunteers either whining about something, or not knowing how to do something basic, like breathe). But I ask him, what would you have done with C, if I weren't there to hold onto her? Oh, she'd just be with him.

Oh ok, and the various stage parents of the ninehundred and ninety nine other kids auditioning wouldn't have noticed that? As they clutch Fifi's or Trixie's headshots (?!) and urge them to warm up, hoping that there's a part for their precious child?

I just can't get into that whole scene. Maybe because when I was in high school, I had to ban my parents from my basketball games (sick of hearing, if you play good enough you'll get a scholarship!! even in the early 80's before girls hoops became popular, that was never going to happen). And then I went to college determined to lose the "jock" image and turned into party girl instead. I don't want to be one of "those" parents.

And all the other girls there were a good 4-6 years older than C, with dancing lessons and who knows what else that my pumpkin hasn't done yet. And I don't know which will be worse - she does get a part (however small) instead of someone else, or she doesn't get a part and has to deal with that disappointment (not that I don't want her to ever be disappointed, but I want her to be a little older before she has to start dealing with those emotions).

With my luck, she'll have my artistic ability and D's athletic ability. None whatsover.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home