Tuesday, February 27, 2007

It's a small world


I know – horrible song to have stuck in your head. But it’s true! (and not just ‘cuz we’ve drunk deeply of the Disney kool-aid).

While C was taking swimming lessons at the Y one session, D and I thought we saw someone we graduated high school with there also. But since it’s been twenty years, and we didn’t know this person in high school, we weren’t quite sure.

The opportunity to say something to her just didn’t come up, and we didn’t think much of it, until the beginning of kindergarten this past fall. Because….drum roll please….her son was in C’s class!

Now, I didn’t really have the greatest high school experience. I’m sure it could have been worse, but it was high school…Take every awkward moment in a John Hughes film and magnify it. That’s what it felt like for me, anyway. I can’t speak for D. College was much better.

She was a cheerleader, and one of the clique that was “popular” in high school. We weren’t in the same classes (even the classes where the honors and non-honors level students mixed (religion and gym)). She was (is) one of those petite people that intimidate me (because I’m tall and apparently still think of myself as gawky). Plus, there’s no way she would even deign to talk to me because I still think of everyone in high school as ‘frozen’ that way (even though I know they’re not).

So imagine my surprise when she recognizes me (not personally, just recognized the fact that I was familiar looking) – I think she recognized D officially, first – since they might have been in the same homeroom at some point over the four years of high school. And she’s nice!

And to top it off? Her son totally loves C. And they’re so cute together because he’s this little peanut, and C is tall for her age (even though she’s 10 months younger than he is!). We joke about them all the time. Probably inappropriate, but hey, that’s what therapy’s for.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Elle*Bee said...

Thanks a lot! I had just gotten that song out of my head and then I log on to your blog! Arrggggghhhh (just kidding! while I did hear that song more than once on vacation, fortunately they pipe in a bunch of other Disney tunes...)

Ah high school. I didn't like it either. I didn't fit in with any one group. I guess I was on the fringe of a few groups, but mostly I attempted to remain invisible. A skill which, sadly, remains today. It was at my 10 yr reunion though that I discovered what a great equalizer time is. The nerd? He's Senior VP of a Fortune 200 company (and very good looking to boot). Most likely to succeed? Selling cars at a local dealership. The Porsche he drove to the reunion was a rental. Still sometimes it's hard to remind ourselves that who we were then is only a teensy fraction of who we are now.

28 February, 2007 11:52  

Post a Comment

<< Home