Saturday, December 31, 2005

Cheesy Movies

Last night D had to work (and he's working again tonight, yes, New Year's Eve, for the second year in a row)...so C ended up going to bed a little after 7 last night and after I surfed the 'net a bit, settled in front of the tv for some mindless entertainment. I watched.....wait for it... St. Elmo's Fire. The "Brat Pack" at it's finest. It's remarkable how young they all look. It's even more remarkable that when that movie came out, they were older than I was....now, we're all 20 + years older. Amazing. At the time, I was going to be a senior in high school (I know, dating myself now) and thought that that was what life would be like after college graduation. As far as I know, it wasn't like that for me or anyone else I knew.

The best part about the cheesy 80's movies is the music. When you hear a song you haven't heard in ages, all of a sudden, in the space between heartbeats, you remember what it was like to be the age you were when the song was first popular. For a brief moment, you remember what it felt like, being 15, 16, 17 - whenever. It's a lightness that I can't explain unless you've experienced it as well. It's also all the agony of "ohmigod ohmigod, Jeff (or insert guy you had a crush on) just smiled at me"..... all the embarrassment of being not sure of yourself, or of your perceived coolness (or lack thereof)....and it's a nice break from being an adult. Of being mom, or dad, or an officer at work, or any of the other odd parts of your life that you never even imagined being part of your life when you were in high school and imagined being a grown up.

Oh well. Tonight, New Year's Eve 2005 - will be more similar to the previous 4 New Years Eves than any of the preceding ones. With D working, I will have to get C dinner, showered, teeth brushed, and settled in bed, before I can do anything else. Which isn't much. I rented a couple of movies (40 Year Old Virgin and Wedding Date) and may get to watch one. If I'm ambitious, maybe I'll make it until 11:30 or so to see if Dick Clark is still alive.

Happy New Year!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home