Thursday, February 16, 2006

You say it's your birthday

Today is John J.'s (not his real name) birthday. I had the hugest crush on him in college. He was dark Irish (with the dark hair and blue blue eyes) and had a smokin' bod. He played rugby, and was one of the "twenty minutes outside of Bahstahn" crowd. When I started college, he was a year ahead of me. As I definitely packed on the "freshman fifteen", I had no chance.

But then he lived in a dorm where a lot of my guy friends ended up. And I spent a summer sweating at the Y, picturing myself showing up in that dorm wearing cute shorts and a cuter top, and him finally noticing. I did reach my goal of losing weight that summer, but as for him noticing me? Hah. He was more interested in the very slender, very unattainable blonde goddess (who was actually really really nice!) from Joisey. John J and I ended up as acquaintences instead, that year.

The following year, he had some issues and left school midway through the year. I entered a horrible relationship with someone who knew all the things to say. When that relationship ended (and badly) I was on the "depression diet". It's amazing what you think is a crisis when you're 20. Anyway, I sent him a card for his birthday that year - just a kind of, hey, thinking of you.

That next year, I was in the best shape of my entire life. I had spent the summer running, swimming and biking (kind of mini-triathalons!) and working two jobs. I had a smokin' bod. John J was back at school and would graduate with my class. For Halloween I went as a scuba diver (I had one of those wet suit looking bathing suits and wore my running tights underneath)...usually I just went out as drunk college student. I don't remember the exact details, but he followed me home that night! Nothing happened other than some kissing, as we were both pass out drunk. I swore I would remember ever detail of those kisses.

And isn't it funny? I don't remember a single detail about them now.

But wherevah you are John J? Happy Birthday.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mrs Big Dubya said...

you should google him... not because you want to find him or anything, but just because it's fun to find out where people end up

17 February, 2006 14:03  
Blogger Sue said...

I have, unfortunately he's got one of those really common Irish last names, and a generic first name. Oh well.

17 February, 2006 16:26  

Post a Comment

<< Home