Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Black Velvet Band


So I'm driving to the train this morning (C was in the shower when I left, having agreed to let daddy take her to "school") and realize it's almost St. Patrick's Day. And it's on Friday this year! For one brief moment (remember, it was early) I thought about taking the day off, going to the city to see the parade, and spending some quality time with a pint.

Then I started to recall some St Patrick's Days from long ago. How I'd roll out of bed, dress in jeans and a green shirt, meet my friends at the bagel place across from the college and catch the bus to downtown Burlington for the first shift of drinking. How one year, a bunch of us stepped out of the Blarney Stone briefly to get some food (haha!) and ran through City Hall Park while yelling the words to "The Unicorn".

And I tried to remember the words to some of the songs we used to sing around St. Patrick's Day. There was a great local band, made up of two guys (one who almost graduated from my college!) who were incredibly popular, especially around St. Patrick's Day (and no, it wasn't Phish. Although I can remember seeing homemade paper signs advertising Phish playing at Nectar's towards the end of college. I was surprised when they became as popular as they did. I just thought they were a bar band.)

So I spent some time this morning googling various lyrics to see if I could find some of the old songs. Shhh. Don't tell. I put one CD on my amazon wish list that seemed to have most of the songs I can remember.Then I had to do work.

And as for this St. Patrick's Day? I will get up, get dressed (wearing something green, I imagine) and come to work. D has to work at night, and C's not really into the holiday (even though she is part Irish). Oh well. Maybe in the future we can go into the city to watch the parade.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home